Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It took a little while, but I think I got the hang of it.

So, it's the end of week seven. I've completed my first memo, finished my Torts and Contracts outlines, and am almost finished with my Civil Procedure outlines. I feel like I've finally gotten the hang of life as a law school student. It has been a tremendous amount of work, which forced me to be honest with myself about a few things very early on in this process. In week three I made the decision to drop two credit hours. I was taking on WAY too much. My situation is unique because I'm not only a law school student, I'm also a single-parent. Most single-parents choose not to be a full-time day student because it is extremely challenging. The challenge can be even greater if you lack a support system. I knew beforehand what I was getting in to by relocating and essentially leaving my support system behind. I discussed my concerns with my institution before making the commitment to attend, and they have kept their end of the bargain by being extremely encouraging and understanding when I come to them with any concerns. Plus, my daughter has truly been understanding and supportive of her mommy. I can't thank her enough.

In week five, I think I was beginning to at least get comfortable with everything that embodied law school. I definitely didn't feel like I was drowning in a sea of legalese and massive reading assignments. I took a weekend trip home, which I think I desperately needed. I saw some familiar sites, visited some friends, and felt refreshed by time I made it home. Now, don't get me wrong, I did not take the weekend off! I went to my favorite library and did a few hours of studying, so that I wouldn't feel guilty later on.

By week six, I had lunch with a professor and my TA, and gotten to know most of my "colleagues" in my section. It seems I spend a ridiculous amount of time with my nose in a book, or researching online, or writing a memo, or working on an outline. The days go by sooooo fast, to the point where I can not believe that I'm almost halfway through this semester.

At the beginning of this week, I took a practice Mid-Term. The results were not so hot, but it does provide guidance as to where I need to be once finals rear their ugly heads. At this point, my plan has been to do weekly cumulative reviews of the materials and try to get in as much practice as possible between now and then.

I suppose I should be glad it only took seven weeks, I still have eight more weeks until finals, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment