Monday, April 13, 2009

Admitted Student Reception

At the end of March, I attended an Admitted Students Reception at the school I am now 100% sure I’ll be attending this fall. For the most part, I had a really nice time speaking to the student, the professors, and other students that are attending the school. I only had one somewhat negative experience and it was with the first person I spoke with. When I arrived, I chose survey the event, walking around first before I approached someone or allowed myself to be approached. After that, I walked up to a guy that at first glance seemed approachable. I introduced myself, and maybe said one or two more words before he diverted his attention to someone else and carried on what seemed like a two minute conversation. He then offered me a half-assed apology after the conversation with the third person, at which point I’m sure I just walked away….I pray that these types are few and far between. We shall see.

The rest of the people I spoke to were not rude at all. They were actually really nice and went out of there way to answer my questions and engage in conversation. I have to admit that I spent the majority of my time speaking to a group of African-American students. I think one thing any minority looks for is someone that resembles them. It’s a sign that maybe they won’t be uncomfortable and hopefully there will be someone they can relate to during this whole process. I did speak to non-minority students and they were equally helpful in making me feel comfortable. At this point, I’m anxious to see my classmates this fall. I CAN'T WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment