Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Monster that is Law School.....

Yes, that is the best way that I can describe it. Law school is a BEAST! Particularly, when you have other things going on in life- like raising a child, trying to maintain some level of health and sanity, keeping a household afloat, etc.

As a result, I've neglected this blog for the whole year of 2010. For that, I apologize.

I'm not sure what made me do it, but I was sitting in Mediation class (tsk, tsk) today, and I decided to Google my blawg site. The first hit was another blawg site, that made mention of my blawg and a few posts within it that they found helpful. The author also made note of the fact that my last post was after I finished my first semester of law school. The last line- "I hope she's doing well."

Honestly, my intention was to be consistent in my posts until the point of graduation. However, when you get in the thick of law school, you learn really quickly that if you don't absolutely need it, you can do without it (like Cable TV, for instance). Luckily, I do keep a personal journal, so my journey through law school isn't completely lost, but it doesn't address my intention with this blog, which was to provide guidance to those who are curious about what it's like to be in law school.

So- with all that being said. I'm going to try this again! Starting today....

Currently, I have a lot on my plate. Aside from my usual class work (15 hours), I am in the final stages of planning a scholarship banquet, which is one of my duties as the Vice-President of my school's chapter of the Black Law Student Association. Additionally, I am finishing up a draft opinion for the State Court of Appeals. Lastly, I have a couple of interviews later on in the week to which I need to prepare.

One of the habits I have not yet been able to break is NOT taking on soooo much! Right now, this is too much. Unfortunately, I can't just stop, mostly because each of these tasks are stepping stones to more opportunities. On the other hand, my inability to stop could be a symptom of my need to overachieve.

Luckily, as most law school students will tell you, the first year they scare you to death and the second year they work you to death. So far it's proven to be true, which makes me anxious to get to the third year, where the claim is that they bore you to death. Since this is the hierarchy of law school, at times it makes me feel bad to even begin to complain, but then I have to remember that I'm not the average law school student. My days never end when I leave these halls. I still have parent-teacher conferences to attend, dinner to cook, and stories to listen to regarding the latest playground shenanigans....and the shenanigans that I'm hearing about makes me wonder about the state of our children. However, that's a post for another blawg!

I've vowed to myself that after this scholarship banquet comes to fruition, I will narrow my focus to my studies. By that time, most of the items on my list will have been crossed off and the only thing left to do will be to prepare for finals.

I will post again, and soon! I suppose I could give you a somewhat brief review of what I've been doing since second semester of my first year. My mentor reminded me a few days ago of just how much I have accomplished, especially considering my non-traditional law student status. She then urged me to give myself a well deserved pat on the back, lol!

Now...back to reading for Employment Discrimination...YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment