Sunday, January 4, 2009

I Decided....part two

CLEO

Last summer I had the wonderful opportunity to spend a weekend in Atlanta courtesy of CLEO. CLEO is a program that mentors minority, rural, urban, and low-income students who aspire to become attorneys. The program was centered around the application process and provided assistance with personal statements, how to choose schools based on your UPGA/LSAT scores, and discussed the financial aspects of applying and attending law school. The information I received from the program was the BEST part of the weekend. The second best part was my hotel stay (a NICE hotel) and my meals were free. While I was responsible for my airfare to Atlanta, upon completion of the program I received a $200 stipend. It was all worth it and I'm sure its addition to my law school application showed I am truly serious about attending law school and becoming an attorney.

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION

Letters of Recommendation (LOR's) are an important part of an application. It is really the only part of the application where admissions committee will get a different opinion regarding one's success in law school. Usually the LOR will come from a former professor. It is wise to select professors who can speak specifically and positively about your work ethic and quality of work. If it's a situation where you've been out of school for a while, then an LOR may come from an employer.

I selected three professors and an attorney that worked with me at the law firm to write on my behalf. After choosing my LOR writers, I put together a packet of information to send to each of them. The packet included a personalized letter outlining why I selected them to write the LOR and what I wanted their letter to highlight for the admissions committee. I also included a REALLY rough draft of my personal statement, my resume, my transcript with the classes they instructed highlighted, the LSAC LOR form and a pre-addressed, stamped envelope for them to send their letter to LSDAS. I wanted to make the process of writing the letter as convenient as possible by providing them with a good amount of material to refer to when writing their letter and I also eliminated the need for them to have to look for or purchase envelopes and stamps to send the letter.

THE APPLICATIONS

I'm really glad the application process had been streamlined through the Law School Admission Council. Here you are able to pull up the applications, input your information, save it for later-if needed, and send it electronically. Some schools received the application instantly. The most important thing is make sure you fill-out everything truthfully and proofread the application before sending it.

LAW SCHOOL FAIRS/VISITS

I absolutely recommend visiting any law school that you may think you want to attend. It gives you the opportunity to sit in on a class, speak to students, and tour the campus. I have done this several times and in cases where I really thought a particular school was one I wanted to attend, after the visit, I felt the exact opposite and vice versa.

Law school fairs provide an opportunity to meet admissions personnel face to face, ask any questions you may have about the school, and hopefully make a positive impression. I attended several law school fairs and usually targeted the same schools. I was happy to see when some admission personnel remembered my face or remembered me specifically. It definitely helped to bolster my opinion of the school and helped me to determine whether I would be treated as a person rather than a number when/if I became a student.

AS A PARENT

When going through this process, I thought about my daughter every step of the way. I explained as much as I could, as best as I could being that she's only seven years old. She's even visited a law school with me, which I have to commend her for because listening to various professors and deans speak for about two hours is NOT what a seven year old yearns to do at ANY time. I made sure she knew I was proud of her for sticking it out with me.

One of the questions I asked all the schools I have applied to is "how well does the campus tolerate children?" While I don't plan on having my daughter on my hip, I know there may be a moment or two when I will have to choose between not coming to class or coming to class and bringing my daughter with me. The answer to this questions had varied from one extreme to the other, but the vast majority have answered that the campus is mostly tolerant of children being on campus and understands that at times it may be unavoidable. Knowing that was extremely comforting.

And so, now we wait! Of the eight school I have applied to, I have been accepted to two. I await a reply from the remaining six. While I am happy that I haven't been rejected yet, I'm much more anxious to have all eight letters in my hand so I can make a choice and send a seat deposit. FYI- I am a little impatient. At any rate, as promised, I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment